“The Witcher” Season 2 release date on Netflix and more
We’ll be updating this article with confirmed news that comes out about Netflix’s Season 2 of The Witcher. So, bookmark and check back regularly.
One element that has been confirmed on a Reddit AMA, is that we’ll be able to return to The Witcher world for Season 2 in 2021. However, we estimate (and hope) it might release December 20th, 2020 if filming goes well.
CHECK OUT: The Witcher Season one review
The best show of 2019
If The Witcher was meant to fill the fantasy void left by HBO’s Game of Thrones, consider it job done. Despite only releasing on December 20th, by the end of 2019, it had become the world’s most in-demand show. It topped even Disney+’s The Mandalorian.
In my review of the show, I ranked The Witcher as potentially the best show of 2019. The one criticism I made was that the show’s nonlinear storytelling was difficult to follow at times. From what we know about Season 2 already, my one issue might be addressed.
I can’t spoil S2! But — the story will be much more linear, now that the three characters’ stories have started to intersect.The Witcher showrunner Lauren S. Hissrich
What we know about Season 2
This is what we know so far from showrunner Lauren S. Hissrich:
- Filming in the spring: On November 13th, it was announced there would be a Season 2 of the show. Hissrich previously said it takes 20 weeks to create the scripts, so this means filming should begin around March 2020.
- The books of Season 2: Season 1 is based on The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny short stories. Season 2 continues to adapt that material but also moves onto the book Blood of Elves.
- Blood of Elves: The book is about Geralt’s training and protection of Ciri, along with the Elvish insurgence.
- The focus of Season 2: In an interview with GamesRadar, Hissrich said: “There’s a stronger drive in the story, because all of the relationships that we’ve been setting up in season one, actually start to come into fruition in season two.”
- Cast and crew: Henry Cavill (Geralt), Anya Chalotra (Yennefer), and Freya Allan (Ciri) are returning. There was a rumor circulating that Mark Hamill would be cast as Vesemir, a seasoned Witcher and father figure to Geralt. Despite only being a rumor, Hissrich replied to Hamill’s Tweet and fans reacted positively.
If Mark Hamill is cast in Season 2 of The Witcher the internet will break.
CHECK OUT: The best shows on Netflix this month
The Witcher Season 2 on Netflix will definitely be in 4K, with HDR and Dolby Atmos. We know this because Season 1 supported all three and was spectacular audio-visually.
If you haven’t seen The Witcher yet, check out the impressive official 4K UHD trailer below:
CHECK OUT: HBO Max 2020, our most wanted movies