“The Continental” prequel series should reboot the “John Wick” universe
The John Wick prequel series, The Continental will premiere on STARZ late 2021. It will be available after the fourth movie, and in this analyst’s opinion, it should reboot the universe.
What we know so far
- The new series is based in Los Angeles, California.
- Keanu Reeves will have a small cameo.
- A John Wick spinoff movie called Ballerina is already in the works.
- The Continental tells the origin story of the hotel which serves as a safe space for assassins.
- Chris Collins is writer and showrunner (Sons of Anarchy and The Man in the High Castle).
- Other members of the team include Basil Iwanyk, Chad Stahelski, Derek Kolstad, and David Leitch. Each of whom has worked on the John Wick movie saga.
- Chad Stahelski will direct the premiere episode of the series.
- Starz President and CEO Jeffrey Hirsch said the series will not interfere with the fourth movie.
- The release date for the fourth movie is set as May 21, 2021.
One John Wick movie at a time
Director Chad Stahelski and lead Keanu Reeves plan each movie one at a time. This is why each movie is a non-stop crescendo of action. Yet, it has left the story needing to kill off key characters. It’s exciting, but definitely the end of an era.
John Wick Parabellum leaves four characters we’ve grown to love in a 2 vs. 2 situation. This includes John Wick, Winston (Ian McShane), Charon (Lance Reddick), and the Bowery King (Laurence Fishbourne). It’s better for the fourth movie to introduce fresh faces while key characters remain, rather than replace them in a fifth movie people care less about.
Rebooting the universe
Considering the age of the cast, it is likely that Wick and Co. get eliminated in the fourth movie. The Continental prequel can then reboot the universe around young versions of characters in the movies. For example a young Winston.
It could even tap into the John Wick spinoff movie called Ballerina. A Len Wiseman (Die Hard 4.0) directed movie about a girl raised to be an assassin. This movie could easily tie into Anjelica Huston’s John Wick: Parabellum character.
Regardless of what happens in the fourth John Wick movie, it is likely The Continental will be STARZ biggest show of 2021 and beyond.