Amazon Prime Video has greenlighted a Jack Reacher series for its streaming service. Based on the books by Lee Child, the series will chart the retired U.S. Major investigating civilian crimes. Season 1 will follow Child’s first Reacher book, The Killing Floor (1997).
CHECK OUT: The best shows streaming this month
The best news for Jack Reacher fans is that the author has been working alongside the creative team as they adapt the book. As part of the announcement Child’s said: ” I know these guys, and Reacher is in the perfect hands, believe me.”
What we know so far
- According to Amazon.com, a Jack Reacher novel sells somewhere in the world every nine seconds.
- Nick Santora (Prison Break, Lie to Me, and Scorpion) is the show’s writer and showrunner.
- The series is a cooperation between Amazon Studios, Skydance Television, and Paramount Television Studios.
- Don Granger (Gemini Man), Scott Sullivan (Scorpion), and Christopher McQuarrie (Mission Impossible: Fallout) are executive producers.
- The book, The Killing Floor, is based in Margrave, Georgia.
- If it follows the book exactly, the series includes corrupt cops, the Aryan Brotherhood, and counterfeit money.
- Every Jack Reacher novel is optioned to be made into a movie.
- The novel won the Anthony Award and Barry Award in 1998.
- Author Lee Child has sold over 100 million books worldwide.
- In 2019, he was appointed CBE in Britain’s Queen’s Birthday Honours and also won the British Author of the Year award.
Who’ll be Jack Reacher?
The big question remains, who will play the lead role? It will not be Tom Cruise, who played Reacher in two movie releases. Our money is on it being Alexander Skarsgård (True Blood), with a long shot at Chris Hemsworth (Avengers: Endgame).
Regardless of this, considering the popularity of the books, Jack Reacher is likely to be a coup for Amazon Prime Video.
Please follow us on Flipboard and Twitter for more news, rumors, and reviews. If you prefer Facebook or LinkedIn, we’re there as well and would love to talk streaming content with you and our group of friends.