Disney’s “Bambi” remake shows the future of its streaming service
It comes as no surprise that Disney is dipping into its vault once again to remake a classic, and this time it’s Bambi‘s turn to get that audiovisual overhaul.
Bambi is an old tale, with old sensibilities. It was made in 1942, so a remake makes sense, more so than any of Disney’s other remakes so far.
However you feel about Disney retreading old ground, one thing is certain: the announced Bambi remake gives us a glimpse of what Disney+ will look like in the future, and that is repetitive.
CHECK OUT: Ranking Disney’s cutest characters
Bambi remake breakdown
- Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Captain Marvel) and Lindsey Beer (Chaos Walking) are set to write the Bambi remake.
- Chris Weitz, Paul Weitz, and Andrew Miano (The Farewell) are set to produce the Bambi remake.
- Despite reports saying Bambi will be live-action, it will be made with the same techniques as used on The Lion King and The Jungle Book. These were not live-action — they just looked it.
- It is reported that Disney will not try to expand the scale of Bambi‘s story, despite it being a modern retelling.
- Considering The Lion King remake started in 2017 and it didn’t release until 2019, our best estimate is that Bambi will have a release date late 2022.
Remakes are Disney’s priority
From a business strategy, remakes are really smart. The Lion King remake cost $260 million to make and made over $1 billion at the box office.
These following classics are currently in re-development:
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame
- Snow White
- Lilo & Stitch
- The Little Mermaid
- Peter Pan
Looking at the above content from a Disney+ perspective, considering the cost to produce a remake and the lack of original content on the streaming service scheduled for 2020, it appears Disney puts remakes first.
Bambi in 4K with HDR and Dolby Atmos
The Mouse House is bringing out all the bells, whistles and stunning visuals, which means the Bambi remake will be presented on Disney+ in 4K, HDR, and Dolby Atmos.
You won’t have to pay extra for higher quality, either. The $6.99 monthly price tag of Disney+ will offer the best possible presentation of the film in terms of video and audio quality.
Check out the original 1942 Bambi trailer below.