Good news for Disney+ subscribers and Marvel fans, The Falcon and The Winter Soldier series will now premiere in August. This proves our original presumption right: Disney was being lazy in 2020 with their content.
The fact they’re moving content forward could also validate rumors that their subscription numbers have dropped since The Mandalorian finished its first season. Why else break their originally announced schedule?
Regardless, Disney has now moved WandaVision to 2020 and announced a Fall release for Season 2 of The Mandalorian. Add in this latest news about The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, and Disney+ looks a better service.
What is The Falcon and The Winter Soldier?
- It is a spinoff from the Captain America movies.
- Actors Anthony Mackie (Falcon) and Sebastian Stan (Winter Soldier) reprise their big-screen roles.
- Kari Skogland (The Handmaid’s Tale) directs the series.
- The show also stars Daniel Bruhl as Baron Zemo, Emily VanCamp as Agent 13, and Wyatt Russell as SuperPatriot.
- Malcolm Spellman (Empire) produces the series.
- The series plot is unknown, but it’s rumored to tie into the next phase of Marvel movies, including Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.
Obi-Wan news related to content shuffle
With two shows moving forward from 2021 into 2020 and the Obi-Wan series seemingly put on the shelf, it appears Disney+ is re-evaluating its content schedule.
If true, they may decide to put easier-to-produce, more cost-efficient shows into development so that 2021 has content to go alongside the announced Loki series. If Obi-Wan was big, bold, and complex, then it could end up on the backburner for a while.
Our hope is that Disney makes original content a priority and that the packed second-half schedule of 2020 becomes the norm. If so, expect to hear more news in the coming months about Disney originals in the pipeline.
Please follow us on Flipboard and Twitter for more news, rumors, and reviews. If you prefer Facebook or LinkedIn, we’re there as well and would love to talk streaming content with you and our group of friends.